Go Green!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cooper Hawk in Fayette County?

As I walked by the back door a few minutes ago I caught something out of the corner of my eye on the back porch that just didn't look right. I peeked through the blinds and saw what I first thought was an animal of some sort, like a gopher, except I knew we didn't have gophers around here and they really didn't look like that .

I went to the door and pulled back the curtain, only to realize it was a hawk perched on the porch.

Wow.

I ran to the car, got my camera bag, went through all you go through getting one turned on and ready to go thinking the entire time that the hawk would be gone by the time I got back.

Not so.

I carefully pulled the curtain back and tried to get a shot. Realized I was getting part of the curtain, so zipped around to the other curtain-less door on the other side of the porch. Surely I'd scare it away, but had to try!

Nope, it stayed for the shots. My hummingbird feeder was in the way though so headed back to the other side. Obviously the hummingbirds knew they weren't big enough to temp the hawk... or they simply didn't notice him sitting there.

More photos on the other side, still through the glass door.

Finally, not because it reacted to me at all, the hawk moved up to the roof for a better view.

As I type I noticed a winged shadow go by the windows... maybe it found something to eat!
I made a quick slide show which I'll be adding to the Fayette Front Page later. I'll pop back over here and add a link just in case you want to see more shots.
I looked the hawk up in my bird book, couldn't decide if it was a Cooper Hawk or not. That's the closest I found, but the one in my book shows a darker breast and more red than "my" hawk had. Any ideas? Any bird folks out there who'll know right off the bat?

No comments: